Turbo acquired!

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

My oil setup is ghetto. When I got the engine, it had no alternator and the metal oil line coming off of the head to feed the air pump was cut. So I used rubber fuel line and hose clamps and a brass "T" to split off the oil tube into the air pump, and also into a copper tube and fitting from an ice machine installation kit. That was because my odd, old RaJay turbo did not connect to a "normal" turbo oil supply line. I had to use the larger one from the ice machine stuff; nothing else I could find would fit. It works fine, though I would like to have it set up properly. Ideally, I would use a small electric vacuum pump to run my brake booster, so I could dedicate my oil line solely for the turbo and get rid of the "T" and all that junk.

I used a regular old AutoMeter boost gauge, plumbed into the intake manifold.

As for the J-pipe, that's a little tricky. If you want to make one yourself......

1. Get an exhaust flange for use with the turbo of your choice: You can get them on ebay for like $10, to fit a T3 or whatever popular turbo you want to use.

2. Get a flat piece of steel, 3/8" thick, and fashion a flange to connect to the outlet of the stock LD28 exhaust manifold, or you may be able to cut off the downpipes from the exhaust flange of your stock exhaust system, and use that flange.

3. Now comes the hard part. You must take 1.75" diameter steel exhaust tubing (the size of the two outlets of the LD28 manifold) and curve them like they are in the cast piece I used from the RaJay kit. They curve 180 degrees, but since the LD28 manifold dumps off at an angle and not straight down, you will also have to "twist" them about 25 degrees as well...you'll probably have to eyeball it. Furthermore, you will need to merge them together (and also possibly form them into a square depending on the turbo) so that they will fit into the ebay turbo flange. Make sure that the pipes fit tightly INTO the flanges. Then get a good welder to zap it all together. Then get a downpipe (ebay) that comes off of your turbo, and connect that to your exhaust system.

No wastegate or blow-off valve is necessary.

If you don't have access to the machinery and tooling needed to do this, or have a good friend at a machine shop, then I would do a long, hard search for an old Datsun Z turbo kit, or at least the J-pipe connector. If you are on your own and your machine shop consists of a dremel tool, then I would use the 280zx turbo system if I were you.
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Also, mine is currently not intercooled. I have a complete plan for an intercooler setup, but it is classified until I get it installed. It will be one of a kind.
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~